Be Disaster Ready!
I pulled into my garage at 3:30PM yesterday and didn’t close the door because I was going to leave to go to a meeting. At 4PM the lights flickered and the next minute all the electric in the house went out. Of course we found out that all of San Diego was affected and expected that it would last a short time and be back on. You know that is not what happened. There have been lots of crazy emergencies that have occurred all over the world recently. Earthquakes in Japan, tornadoes in the American South and Midwest, flooding along the Mississippi, and earthquakes and wildfires in California. We never know when, where or what kind of emergency will happen, but it will happen. Yesterdays black out proved that. Did you know that September is National Preparedness Month? Most of us are not prepared to handle emergencies.
What should you have in your “Emergency Kit”
- Water: one gallon per person per day for at least 3 days
- Food: at least a 3 day supply of nonperishable food. Don’t forget a can opener.
- Water and food for pets, plus extra leashes, treats, and toys
- Warm blanket, extra set of clothes, sturdy shoes for each member of the household
- Prescription medication
- List of allergies to any drug or food
- Tooth brush and toothpaste
- Personal sanitation items, such as moist towelettes, garbage bags with ties
- Paper plates, cups, plastic utensils and paper towels
- Battery powered or hand crank radio
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Keys to your house and car
To learn more about emergency preparedness go to ReadySanDiego.org. Call us at Love 2 Live Care if you or a loved on needs help preparing an emergency kit. We can help with assistance with bathing and grooming and many other activities of daily living that you may have challenges with.