Plan a San Diego July 4th Senior Citizens Will Cherish!
Like many holidays, Fourth of July events help family members bond by sharing unique experiences. When grandma or grandpa is along for the fun, combining both home and new adventures away from home keeps everybody happy. These tips help adult children create a San Diego July 4th senior citizens enjoy without getting overwhelmed.
Best San Diego Locations for Seniors to View Fireworks:
- Shelter Island: Catch the fireworks show from Point Loma’s bay front. This location is lawn chair
and wheelchair friendly. Also, many of the hotels located at Shelter Island Village are single storied, and contain wheelchair accessible restrooms and elevated slopes. Ramps make it easier for disabled seniors to avoid going up and down the small hills that lead to the different parks and sights. Located at 2071 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92106.
- Harbor Island : One of the most popular locations to watch Fourth of July fireworks, you will have a perfect view of the city skyline from a waterfront location. A beautiful and disability friendly path along the shore against the tranquil ocean breeze keeps walkers, joggers, and wheelchair rollers cool and moving along. There are also several grassy areas perfect for family picnics and for seniors to relax and take short strolls. Harbor Island is located at 2040 Harbor Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
- Embarcadero: This bay front location is located in Downtown San Diego right by the Gaslamp District at 1325 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92101. If you get there early, you can wander the shops and the boardwalk that is also wheelchair and “senior-cane” friendly. Interact with street performers, listen to live musical entertainment, shop for souvenirs, and enjoy good food from the 70 shops, galleries, restaurants and eateries at Seaport Village all before the fireworks show starting around 9pm.
- Hornblower: What better way to celebrate Independence Day than enjoying a romantic cruise aboard a grand yacht, not to mention to have one of the best views of the fireworks show presented by the Port of San Diego. The Lord Hornblower and Adventure Hornblower both feature accessible ramps, with large viewing windows and restrooms on main deck; access to upper and lower decks is by stairs. The Inspiration Hornblower has an accessible ramp and restrooms, plus an elevator to the lower deck. You can also ask about assisted listening options at ticket booth; Spanish
The Best San Diego July 4th When a Senior has Alzheimer’s or Dementia
- Ask them about their military experience or about the returned soldiers they knew: talk about their military background, if any, or ask them about which wars they supported and which wars they were against and why.
- Arrange and go through old photos together, and ask them about the people and soldiers shown. Get them to talk and to provide their perspective during the particular war period.
- Keep it Positive: Talk about the social and economic changes that the war created. Direct your loved towards thankful attitudes for the sacrifices of the soldiers rather than memories of those who died.
- Read to Them from famous historic poetry or books. Consider humor or historical essays, too. Here are some suggestions:
Love 2 Live Helps You Celebrate
If you need any more help planning a fun Independence Day 2017 in San Diego, don’t hesitate to call us at 619-291-4663. At this point, we’re experts in the perfect Fourth of July celebration! We’re happy to share what’s worked and what activities we’ve learned to stay away from.
Special days like the Fourth of July brings the entire family together as kids, parents and grandparents all enjoy a night out on the grass. Everyone at Love to Live, even office staff, has cared for a senior loved one at some point in his or her life. We all know well the need for respite care, after surgery care and even daily companionship. Our caregivers benefit from the backup of our office staff and our extensive educational database. If your elder loved ones could use some household help, transportation or other services, do not hesitate to call 619-291-4663 with any questions. Follow us on Facebook and sign up for our email newsletter to stay current on senior care options and ideas in San Diego. Schedule your free, no-obligation in-home assessment today!